Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Stiches

Alright, I stink at updating this.  I have no motivation because I don't think anybody really reads it.  I feel a little bad that I haven't written down interesting things from the last year or so of subbing for myself though.

Regardless, today I had to write something because.... it happened again!

A student noticed something about my lip!

Every year since I came to Salem to substitute I've had at least one student think my lip was curious or odd.  I'm continually surprised by this because never ONCE while I was growing up did anyone comment on my lip.  Not in middle school.  Not in high school.  Not ever.  I'd never really thought about how my lip was a different shape than others'.  When I substituted in Astoria, no one ever said anything.  However, in Salem, it's noticed all the time!  What is it about my lip in this town?  I do not know.

Anyway, today in a fourth grade class who started the day out beautifully and deteriorated into chatty-chatty-chattiness(!) by the afternoon, one girl helped keep the tradition alive.  She and a couple other girls came up to the front to ask me a question as the class was cleaning up.  The girl asked me, "What happened to your lip?"  I replied with (the now traditional) answer of, "Nothing, that's just how my lip looks."  She then added, "It looks like you had to have stitches!"

Interesting.

And new.

At least my lip continues to challenge the "norm" for lips in Salem-Keizer.

1 comment:

Betty said...

I'm not believing I never read this post - the next in the series of lip comments. That is so crazy that the comments keep coming. There has been at least one each year I'm sure. I realized after reading this post and the previous two that I have missed your daily reports. I know it was time consuming for you but I loved it.